(FAIR WARNING: Your Input Will Be Requested At The End Of This Post)
To test or not to test, that is the question. That is always the question during the two week wait.
Today is 8 dpo (8 days post-ovulation). As I’m sure we all know, days 6-10 after ovulation are the implantation days. Then, Hcg gets released and, at a certain level, the HPT (home pregnancy test), a.k.a. POAS (pee on a stick), can pick-up the pregnancy.
Mother’s Day is falling on my 10 dpo or, in HPT language, four days before the expected start date of my next period. If your ears perk up like mine do whenever a pregnancy test commercial comes on TV, you know that most tests "can detect pregnancy up to 4 days before the first day of your missed period." Specifically, according to the charts made by the HPT manufacturers, if I test on Mother’s Day and I AM pregnant, I have a 57% chance of the test showing a positive.
Of course, I have exhaustively searched online and found many stories of women who got their BFP’s (big fat positives) 5 days after a day 5 transfer (10 dpo). I have also read a lot of stories of women who got negatives at 10 dpo and then BFP’s at 12 dpo. And, of course, there are many women in the “wait until the beta test” camp. Those women listen to their doctors and spare themselves the agony of deciding when to POAS, by choosing not to POAS at all. I envy you women…but I will never be one of you. Even if I were to wait for the beta test, I would agonize…oh how I would agonize!
So, the question for me, I guess, is not even really “to test or not to test.” Rather, the question is- “to test on Mother’s Day or to wait until later.” But the latter doesn’t really have the same ring to it.
Quick update for those of you who are new to this blog, my announcement to The Prince has been in the works for some time. He is a Jersey Shore fan (I don’t know how that happened to a chemistry professor), and is particularly fond of walking around and saying “We have a Situation,” while pointing at his non-existent six pack. So…I have a maternity shirt that says “The Situation” on the belly. The plan is to yell out from the bathroom “Uh oh, Honey! We’ve got a situation!” He will come to the door, likely thinking that the shower broke, light fell out of the ceiling, etc. I will then walk out in my “Situation” t-shirt, holding the positive pregnancy test and announce "the situation." TA DA!!!! This announcement scenario is admittedly corny, but non-negotiable. I’ve waited three years for this moment, and like any good director, I feel I've perfected the announcement to match our quirky senses of humor. So, although I adore you all, please don't trash my announcement plan because it isn't changing.
Now that everyone is up to speed, you should know that The Prince and I have EXTREMELY tight schedules, and that is complicating my testing scenarios. The Prince is working at his parent’s restaurant on Saturday and on Sunday, during the day. We both will work during the day Monday through Friday, at our regular jobs. On Monday, that's it...when we get home, we're home. But on Tuesday through Thursday, The Prince works a second job, so on those days we will be home together from 4:30 - 5:00, and then The Prince won't be home again until 8:00 p.m. Also, I am having dinner ou with friends on Tuesday night and won't be back until very late.
So, based on the schedules, I believe I have worked out all of the possible testing scenarios, and they are as follows:
1) Test on Sunday morning, find out I’m pregnant, make the announcement to the Prince on Sunday evening, when he gets home, for the best Mother’s Day ever!
2) Test on Sunday morning, get a negative, work at convincing myself that I am in the 43% of pregnant women who wouldn’t test positive that early, and don’t mention any of it to The Prince who, at least, won’t be home most of the day.
3) Test on Monday morning, find out I’m pregnant, sit with that knowledge the whole damn day at work…and announce the news to The Prince when I get home.
4) Test on Monday morning, get a negative, and try not to fall apart at work that day.
5) Test on Wednesday and…(see #’s 3 and 4 above)
6) Wait until Thursday morning’s beta test, get the results at work, then don’t answer the phone when The Prince calls for the results, so I can rush home and make my announcement in between his two jobs. (Unfortunately, The Prince has gone through IVF cycles with me enough times to know when my beta’s get scheduled and I’ve lied to him about when the blood test was in the past, to give myself time to process the news before facing him, so I can’t just lie and say it is on Friday in order to surprise him on Thursday. He’s too crafty for that.).
I think it is likely clear which choice I like the best, but I am putting it out there for “my people” to weigh-in on. I’m not promising anything (and if I don't follow advice I'm totally blaming it on the hormones), but bring on the comments and advice, being kind to my fragile ego and cognizant of my need for this to be a big deal. I’m dying to know what other people have to say about all of this…and I know there are lots of other Type A’s out there reading this. So please don’t be shy about letting me know if I missed a fabulous timing/testing/announcing scenario. Can't wait to hear your opinions!


