Friday, August 19, 2011

R & R

Thank you again to everyone who sent kind messages regarding Josephine’s cancer.  I’ve read the messages over and over.  The support has definitely helped.  In just a couple of days I feel markedly better than I did. 

While lying around during my mini-depression, I realized that my nausea, dizziness, etc. seems to be greatly affected by how much sleep I’ve been getting.  Sleep has been tough to come by lately and I think that might be one of the reasons why I’ve been having a rough time.  During my second meeting with our doula, earlier this week, she told me that getting enough sleep is one of the most important things I can do right now.  Every pregnancy is different.  Not everyone gets a boost of energy during their second trimester.  I need to accept that I am still feeling a lot of fatigue and make sleep more of a priority than it has been.

So, last night, I made a few purchases to help with my sleep issues.  First, we have the Leachco Back N’ Belly Contoured Body Pillow. 

The Prince got me a great long body pillow earlier in my pregnancy, but it is only four feet long and doesn’t wrap around my body.  My new “pregnancy pillow” should hopefully help keep me on my side without feeling like there is a constant tug-of-war going on between my back muscles and lower abdominal muscles.


I also got a pregnancy wedge pillow. 

My massage therapist introduced me to this little gem, as she props my belly on one of these pillows during my prenatal massages.  I’ve tried duplicating the pressure-relieving action of the wedge pillow by using regular pillows under my belly at night…but the regular pillows just aren’t the same.  Our baby is the most active the first hour or two that I lay down for bed at night and I am hoping that the wedge pillow will soothe the stretching feeling, so I can just enjoy the baby movements.


Finally, I bought a maternity belt (not to be confused with a chastity belt…though they both resemble torture devices). 

I am feeling a lot of pressure from the weight of my expanding belly and my low back is struggling to deal with my new center of gravity.  I am sure that had I gone into this pregnancy with better core strength, I wouldn’t be having these issues so early in the pregnancy.  But it’s too late to change that now…so my doula recommended a maternity belt to relieve some of the pressure.  My doula said that I need to look at the pregnancy the same way I viewed infertility – something that affects every aspect of my health, my body and my life.  Something that deserves respect and acknowledgment.  A worthwhile pursuit that isn't easy...because nothing really worth pursuing ever is easy.  The doula says that I need to understand that my needs have to come first right now…and that means seeking comfort where I can get it.  So, in addition to sleep, comfort has moved up on my list of priorities.  (I have to say…I feel like the doula has already earned every penny we are paying her, just by assuaging my guilt for being a little selfish right now.)


1 comment:

Molly W. (@mommylovespark) said...

Your doula is incredibly insightful. I am so glad you are sharing her wisdom since I am struggling with the same issues you are. Please let me know how the new products help you. I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable position at night as well.