Thursday, April 14, 2011

Update on being "out"...

After reading your comments, I realized that I hadn't even considered how my husband was going to feel about this.  He is not on Facebook (thinks it is silly), so he may never know about it.  I feel like it was the right move for me...and he's told enough people that I think I'm okay.  But shame on me for completely forgetting him before pushing that "update" button.  I blame it on the hormones.

I just want to thank everyone for their support and say that I am so proud of those of you who posted it on your status, too (or would have if you were still on Facebook).  Some of you asked what type of response I received, and I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised.  There were MANY reposts by family and friends.  My husband's entire family (including his cousin's husband, a youth pastor in Texas that we never really talk to) "liked" the post.  Of course my infertility friends were right there, saying "well put" or "thank you."  I even had a lot of old high school friends (all women) "liking" the status update.  The response I received was larger than any other response I've received on Facebook (with the exception of my wedding photos).  All of it was good.

The Prince's cousin who just had to terminate her pregnancy was the very first one to "like" the status, and her mother quickly followed suit.  It brought tears to my eyes. 

The only thing that surprised me was that no one in my large family responded at all.  I'm not taking that too hard...it isn't like I am close with most of them, so they don't know what we are going through.  But it was surprising to me that The Prince's family is so supportive and my family...well...crickets chirping.

I was afraid I would feel stupid today...or regret my decision.  But I don't have any regrets.  In fact, I'm leaving that post up for another day...or two...or three.  It's not like I have something more interesting to talk about on Facebook.  I would love to hear what type of response those of you who also posted the "infertility awareness" status update received.  I hope that it was as positive an experience for all of you as it was for me.

******Just wanted to post another update...so my mother-in-law posted it on her status too...in a show of support -YEAH!!!  And even cooler, she has been a school teacher for over 30 years, so she has a ton of friends...and over 50 people have commented on her status, talking about their struggles with miscarriages and failed IVF's...and thanking her for showing her support.  It makes me cry how pervasive infertility is, and what an awesome affect it has on people when just one person shows a little acknowledgment and support.****

3 comments:

DandelionBreeze said...

Great that you had so much support.... you are so brave and great in helping raise awareness and support others too. Lovely that your MIL re-posted it too :) Been thinking about you over the past few days (while not on the computer much) and hope all is going well as you head into your cycle. Love always xoxo

Lindsey said...

I love it that your MIL posted it too! We're lucky having such supportive MILs! I am feeling a little sheepish for chickening out and not posting it as my status but I have so many friends who aren't in the baby stage of life yet that I'm afraid they would say insensitive things and I'm just to fragile for that right now...

Princess Wahna Bea Mama said...

Oh...don't feel sheepish, Lindsey. If I wasn't supported by mostly infertility friends on Facebook, I probably wouldn't have done it. I'm presuming there is going to be an insensitive comment or two that are going to get flung my way eventually...but I think that the vagueness of the wording has made the people who "don't know" unsure about what the post meant. I would never want anyone to feel badly for keep their hardships to themselves. Each situation is different and I am not always a good role model, as I tend to act impulsively about emotional things. This just happened to be one of those situations where the impulse worked out for me. I'm so glad you MIL is supportive...it does make a big difference.